Yields 3 cups
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- (2) 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1.5 cups water
- salt, to taste
- Heat the canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the spices and saute for 30 seconds. Add the tomato sauce and water, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- If you’d like your sauce to be smooth, process in a food processor.
- Use the sauce immediately or store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for future use. Enjoy!