- Onions - 1, chopped
- Russet potato, large - 1, diced
- Kale, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Cannellini beans - 1 can, rinsed and drained
- Cooking oil - 1 tbsp
- Tomato paste - 1/4 cup
- Harissa paste (opt) - 2 to 3 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Vegetable broth - 4 to 6 cups
- Tofurkey sausage
- Onions / Potatoes / Kale - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beans - Rinse and drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then onions, kale stems, tomato paste, harissa paste (if using), and red pepper flakes with a dash of salt. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Next add in potatoes and saute until they get a bit golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in broth (add higher end of the range if you like a more broth-y soup) and beans. Bring to a boil, and then simmer covered for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in barley (remember to have saved half for tomorrow) and kale leaves. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and / or anything you like with some heat. This is meant to be a spicy soup but if you have kids, adjust accordingly.
- Make sausage according to package directions. Add to soup.
Credit Cook Smarts