- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large or 2 medium white potatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb piece size ginger, ~1 tbsp grated
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp plus 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- A small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- Salt, pepper and chili pepper to taste
- Peel sweet potato, potato, carrot and onion, and cut them into similar in size small pieces. Mince garlic, and grate ginger and turmeric if using.
- Heat up 1 tbsp of avocado oil in a large sauté pan or Dutch oven, and sauté onion, carrot and potatoes for about 5 minutes. Push vegetables to the edges of your pan to create some space in the center. Add 1/2 tbsp oil to the middle, and fry garlic, ginger and curry powder for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, before mixing it with the rest.
- Add rinsed lentils, water or broth and bring everything to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes (covered), stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat, stir in coconut milk and let curry sit for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped cilantro and fresh lemon juice and turmeric, and season to taste with salt, black pepper and a bit of chili.