- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped fine
- 1 pound red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
Total 1370 cal + rice
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions, red potatoes, sweet potatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and potatoes begin to soften at edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, paprika, cumin, cardamom, cayenne and cloves and cook until fragrant and vegetables are well-coated, about 2 minutes. Gradually stir in water, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in bay leaves, mustard seeds, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juice and vinegar and continue to simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended and sauce has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves, stir in cilantro, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.