- 2 acorn squashes (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound mixed black and red grapes (about 3 cups)
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons packed small fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/3 cups cooked spelt, wheat berries, barley, or other whole grain
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squashes in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and reserve, if desired (see note, above).
- Brush cut sides of squash halves with 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Place, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet. Combine grapes, shallot, and sage in a bowl and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper; place around squash. Roast, stirring grape mixture once, until squash is tender and grape mixture is caramelized, 35 to 40 minutes. To serve, fill squash with grain and grape mixture.