Work in progress.
Makes 2 quarts
- 2 quarts coconut milk, rice milk or soy milk
- 2 teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin Powder
- Yogurt culture
- Add pectin to 2 cups room-temperature coconut milk. Blend in blender until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 6 cups coconut milk in a saucepan and heat to 140F.
- Add reserved milk and pectin. Return to 140F. Remove from heat.
- When milk is cooled to 110F, sprinkle yogurt starter over milk and stir well. Pour into a clean jar and cover, or pour into your yogurt maker jars and follow manufacturer’s directions.
- Culture for 6-8 hours at 105F-112F in a yogurt maker or similar appliance.
- Shake or stir and refrigerate. Yogurt will not thicken until after refrigeration. Thickening may take up to 24 hours.
I used Silk Very Vanilla soy milk as the base and 1 tablespoon of a commercial vegan yogurt as the starter.
4 teaspoons of pectin was too much - resulting consistency of tapioca pudding.