- 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely minced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and sliced thin
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon unrefined sea salt
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- Sour Cream, to serve
- Minced Red Onion, to serve
- Minced Cilantro, to serve
- Melt the coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium heat. Stir in the shallot and fry gently until it softens and releases its fragrance. Stir in the poblano pepper, and fry until softened - about 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pot along with cumin, smoked paprika and sea salt. Cover the pot and sweat the potatoes until they soften - about 10 minutes. Pour in the broth and simmer covered for 30 minutes or until the potatoes fall apart when pierced with a fork. Turn off the heat, and puree the soup with an immersion blender until the soup is smooth and uniform.
- Ladle into soup bowls, and serve topped with sour cream, red onion and cilantro as you like it.